Monday, January 17, 2011

S&R Burger; 5/10

S&R is a wholesale supermarket people can buy volume groceries from. It's a membership based establishment but people can buy even without the membership. Non-members, however need to pay an extra 10%. Aside from the groceries, S&R also has a restaurant of sorts that sells New York style pizzas, calzones, churros, hotdogs, cheeseburgers, blue bunny ice creams, clam chowder, rotisserie chicken & rice and even coffee.

The pizzas are heavenly as are the calzones. But I'm here to blog about burgers.

The burger got a measly five on a ten scale. It initially got a six but I had to factor in that you have to be a member to get it. First of all, the bread was tough. I was using a knife that could cut through a calzone with no problem and yet the burger bun proved a challenge. The burger itself lacked flavor. It tasted like those cheap burgers you could get at the frozen meat section of your everyday supermarket. The kind of burger that goes with pan de sal. But then again, with bread like this, I shouldn't have had high expectations. It was completely underseasoned as well. I can't stand burgers that need an overdose of ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, or hot sauce just to make it worth eating. And that's what this burger needed. I had to drown it in ketchup and mayo just to get any substantial flavor.

As for the other components of the burger, the lettuce was clearly wilted. You can see it in the picture. It wasn't crunchy. It wasn't fresh. I wouldn't be surprised if a worm was crawling on the lettuce leaf. And yes, I said leaf. That's another thing. One lousy lettuce leaf? It's bad enough that world standards have gotten us eating vegetables with out meat... and even that is being penny pinched?

The cheese was maybe the best part of the burger. But cheese alone does not a burger make.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was bad. It just didn't meet my standards. I'm your burger guru and my standards are pretty high. I don't want you tasting this burger and saying that I wasted your time. If it were bad, I'd give it a one. This is a five because that's what it was. It was a half-hearted, average, and forgettable burger. I've had better, but then again, I've had worse.

Would I go back for this burger? No. Do I recommend it? Hell no! If you find yourself in S&R, do not, under any circumstances, order the burger. No matter how thick and juicy it looks, do not order the burger. The pizza and calzones are a must to try. I would go back for them. And I recommend that you try them as well. But as for the burger? Pretend it doesn't exist when you look up at those pictures.

S&R Branches are located at Fort Bonifacio, Baclaran (Beside DTI), Congressional, and Alabang.

No comments:

Post a Comment