Friday, April 6, 2012

Johnny Steams

First of all, I'm going to apologize for the quality of pictures for this review. This was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't think I was gonna make a review... but I saw burgers and my mind just shifted to auto-pilot. So I used a camera phone to take pictures.

That being said; Johnny Steams; Manila's first steamed burgers. Whenever you hear the word "first" in a restaurant it's always risky to try it out. I had my qualms about a steamed burger but I decided to give it a shot anyway. So I opted for the Chili Cheese burger and got it with the White Truffled French Fries.

So like I said earlier, I had issues with eating a steamed burger. The burger was pretty good. The whole shebang that came with the burger was ok. The other choices looked pretty awesome as well so I don't doubt that they taste equally as great. The homemade chili, by the way, was fantastic. Absolutely loved that.
My only problem was the burger patty itself. And it was a big. Freaking. Problem.

Steamed burgers? Seriously? The very thought was sacrilegious. Don't get me wrong.. you guys over at Johnny Steams are doing a great job. All the toppings and burger choices make up for the steamed burger. But I just couldn't enjoy it. When I get a burger, I want it with the char marks. I want a little to moderate amount of oil or grease. I want the flavor of the grill. I want my manly, macho, masculine, beards-are-tough, biker, trucker burgers!!! If I wanted healthy I would've ordered a salad.

So yes.. this healthy, guilt-free burger is not high on my list. I'd sooner order a salad than get this burger again. But again, everything else was pretty good. It was just the patty itself I didn't like. So maybe that's just my opinion. Maybe all the people who enjoy waking up at 4 in the morning to go jogging can enjoy this grease-free snack. Maybe people who are trying to fit into their wedding dresses can gorge on this before the big day. Who knows.. maybe it'll be the next big thing in Manila. But as for myself? Give me my greasy bacon cheeseburgers with grill marks any day of the week.

Oh, side note. Fries were great. I saw real truffle oil being infused into the fries.


Johnny Steams is located at the Mercato Centrale tent which is at Fort Bonifacio.

No comments:

Post a Comment